How to reset your advertising ID and opt out of targeted ad tracking on Android and iPhone
1. Tap on the Google Settings app icon – that’s the cog with the “G” inside, and it’s different from your general Settings app, where the Display and other menus are located;
2. In Google Settings, go to Services > Ads, and checkmark the Opt out of interest-based ads option;
3. Tap on the Reset advertising ID option at the top.
How to reset your advertising ID, and opt out of targeted ad tracking on iOS
1. Go to the Settings app;
2. Scroll to the Privacy menu, and go inside;
3. Go all the way to the bottom, until you find the Advertising menu;
4. In Advertising, move the slider for the Limit Ad Tracking to on position;
5. Tap the Reset Advertising Identifier that is underneath the Limit Ad Tracking option.
That’s all, folks – resetting your advertising IDs will generate a brand new identifier that is unencumbered with previous product searches and website visits, and, since you’ve also chosen to opt out of, or limit targeted ads, those pesky sneaker commercials will now be gone for good. After all, you just changed your mind, and bought a nice pair of espadrilles, no need to stare at that Converse sale for weeks at a time.