In a health care facility, such as a hospital, nursing home, or assisted living, an incident report or accident report is a form that is filled out in order to record details of an unusual event that occurs at the facility, such as an injury to a patient. The purpose of the incident report is to document the exact details of the occurrence while they are fresh in the minds of those who witnessed the event. This information may be useful in the future when dealing with liability issues stemming from the incident.
Generally, health care guidelines require the report to be filled out as soon as possible following the incident, after the situation has been stabilized.This way, the details written in the report are as accurate as possible.
Most incident reports that are written involve accidents with patients, such as patient falls. But most facilities will also document an incident in which a staff member or visitor is injured.
In the event that an incident involves a patient, the patient will often be monitored for a period of time following the incident (for it may happen again), which may include taking vital signs regularly.
ADL’s Accident Incident Report captures the required data needed to complete the documentation and notifications for accidents and incidents that have occurred in the facility.
- Specify mandatory data fields to ensure capturing exactly the data you need to properly document and report for incidents and accidents.
- Record the type of fall, location, date and time, shift and unit, witness, who reported the fall, whether the resident was hospitalized.
- Leave detailed comments and setup user-defined fields that will customize the data collected.
Analysis and Reporting
- Produce easy to read statistics and reports
- Enhance risk management by providing information to develop and promote effective policies and programs.
- Produce reports that analyze the database and suggest possible contributing causes or practices.
- Use reports to determine changes in policy or procedures that may reduce the frequency of the problems.
Download the Specification Sheet
- Incident Reporting
- Risk Management
- Patient Monitoring
- Problem Determination
- Contributing Factors
- Injury/Condition Type
- Incidents by Patient
- Incidents by Employee
- Incidents by Location
- Occurrences by Shift
- Incidents Over Time
- Per Accident Type
- By Facility
- Quality Assurance